This site has been set up as an education teaching resource targeting New Zealand teachers. It aims to provide information and resources surrounding the key area of learning food and nutrition. The New Zealand Curriculum (MoE, 2007).
The site has been conjointly created by a group of pre-service teachers studying at The University of Waikato.
- Unit and lesson plans (Years 1-2/3-4/5-6)
- Informative interview with an expert
- Instructional video about the Milk for Schools programme
- Debate around topical issues
- Links to resources (teacher content and classroom activities)
- Ideas for diversity
- Bilingual glossary (English, Māori, NZ Sign) including quiz
- Audio-narrated presentation that links literacy and numeracy
Each decision regarding this site has been discussed and been carefully crafted with the modern Teacher in mind.
Why did we choose wordpress.com instead of making an independent website? Simply put we wanted this resource to reach and affect the greatest number of people it could and wordpress.com offers over 409 million viewers each month. We have been able to connect our site with our teams twitter, pinterest, and instagram accounts to multiply the foot traffic.
Our goal was to create a simple yet effective resource for teachers around New Zealand and the world. As you may notice the unit and lesson plans and some of the other content has been uploaded using scribd.com. We made this decision with teachers in mind as it allows anyone the ability to download the files as a word document and therefore be able to use and edit them immediately.
Our fantastic team:
Michael Swindells, Athena van de Ven, Klaire Ross, John Mitchell, Tessa Kneebone, Maraina Popham